Can You Install Paving Stones Over Asphalt?
When it comes to custom paving in South Florida, there is no doubt that paving stones reign supreme. The advantages of paving stones vs. asphalt are many: asphalt cracks, melts and retains a hot surface temperature. This is why so many South Florida homeowners choose interlocking stone installation from inception. Yet, what about homeowners who have already paved their driveway with asphalt? Can they install paving stones over the existing asphalt?
Should You Install Pavers Over Asphalt?
The answer is yes, you can install pavers over asphalt. But should you? It is debatable. In South Florida, warranties for paving stones over asphalt are rare because of the hot temperature, which may cause the asphalt to melt.
How To Install Paving Stones Over Asphalt
Yet, installing pavers over your existing asphalt driveway is still better than removing the asphalt and starting from square one. This can be timely and expensive, as you will need to:
- Check with your local government’s regulations for asphalt disposal
- Jackhammer the asphalt bit by bit to break it up
- Shovel each piece of asphalt into a wheelbarrow to dispose of it
So, it is often easier to simply install paving stones over asphalt. This process is not much different than the normal procedure for custom paving in South Florida. Here is what we do:
- Repair and cracks, divots, etc to make sure the asphalt is in as good and level a condition as possible.
- Since your driveway will need to sustain a larger weight for vehicles, we install a 1” class II base of bedding sand with a depth of 4”.
- Place a board around the perimeter of your driveway.
- Use a plate vibrator to force the paving stones into the sand bedding and push the sand up between the stones to interlock them.
Voila — you have installed paving stones over asphalt, killing two birds with one stone in the process. On the one hand, you’ve saved yourself the time and headache of removing asphalt from your driveway. To boot, you’ve also installed paving stones, an infinitely more attractive and aesthetic custom paving arrangement.